SPACE FOR YOUR IMAGE DESCRIPTION OR TITLE

a new york minute | 0:02

Saturday, December 27, 2014

One of the best parts about living in New York City is getting to tell people that you live in New York City. I know it, and you know it. I wouldn't be surprised if most people moved to New York just so they could flaunt a 212 - er, 646 - area code (and who would blame them?). Last year, during the months leading up to my move from the west coast to the east coast, any time someone would ask about my "post-grad plans", I secretly relished the moment I got to tell them I was moving to Manhattan. Of course, I played it cool (while visions of thin-crust pizza danced in my head). Sometimes I even tried to get "Manhattan" out in the middle of a yawn to seem extra nonchalant and extra, you know, cool (because moving to Manhattan makes you cool). COOL I TELL YOU.

I quickly learned that people have one of two reactions to the statement, "I am moving to New York". The first is Excitement. Behind door #1 is lots of clapping and smiling and cheering you on. People say "Wow!" and their eyes turn into tiny little stars. The second reaction is Complete And Utter Horror (or Disgust) - door #2 - of which I am much more familiar. On one of the nights leading up to my move, I had drinks with a friend in Portland, Oregon when our bartender overheard me nonchalantly blabbing about "the city". He was mid-pour when he stopped, looked me dead in the eye and said, "I would never move to fucking New York City. You know why? Because it smells and people suck." 
And with that, off I went into the wild! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

House of H All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger