You know what "ice breakers" are, right? (Not the mint, the game)
If you don't already know, consider yourself lucky. You dodged a real bullet! Ice breakers are usually played when you join some kind of new group or club, and the person in charge wants everyone to relax and get to know each other (you know, and break the ice). Sounds pretty reasonable right?
I have played my fair share of ice breakers (joining new clubs in high school, my college orientation, moving into the dorms, etc.). I don't know about you, but I'd say 99% of the ice breakers I've had to play are just downright awkward. "Time for an ice breaker, everyone!" Instant dread.
The concept is great. Loosen people up, get 'em out of their shells. But come on! There must be some better way for people to get comfortable with each other than having to do things like go around in a circle and sing part of their favorite song. (Seriously though. This has happened to me.) We want everyone to relax and get to know each other! So here, play this really awkward game with all these strangers! Sing! Dance! Stand on your head!
(Okay, we didn't have to stand on our heads)
It's pretty painful. But, I'll admit. By the end, after everyone has successfully done something slightly humiliating, it is a little easier to become friends.
So not to break tradition or anything, but how about a less embarrassing ice breaker?
10 things you may or may not have known (about me) :
1. I am a natural blonde. Kind of. In middle school, I dyed my hair bright pink (because my mom was amazing, and let me do things like that). After that phase was over and I was ready to go back to being my natural-blonde-self, my hair started growing in brown! So now, I'm a natural brunette. I think.
2. If I could only eat 3 things for the rest of my life, they'd (easily) be: avocados, strawberries, and chocolate cake.
3. My first concert was Shania Twain. Y'all.
4. Once while traveling abroad, my best friend and I stayed with a family in France for an entire week. They didn't speak a word of English and we didn't speak a word of French. It was an interesting week.
5. Despite my best efforts, I can't keep nail polish on for more than 24 hours without chipping.
6. There are lots of movies I love, but the 3 that I could watch over and over again are: Breakfast at Tiffany's, Dirty Dancing, and Mona Lisa Smile.
7. I own every season of Gilmore Girls on DVD.
8. If I could spend the day with any celebrity, it would have to be Morgan Freeman.
9. This summer, J and I will be taking salsa-dancing classes! Definitely stay tuned for that.
10. In my bag you will always find: Burts Bees, a small bottle of lavender oil, black ink pens, and dark chocolate hearts (for emergency situations, obviously).
What are some things people may or may not know about you?