SPACE FOR YOUR IMAGE DESCRIPTION OR TITLE

really great artwork (plus, the future)

Tuesday, April 23, 2013


How great is this typography?
I stumbled upon Zachary Smith's work through Instagram today (check out his site here) and must say, I'm pretty smitten.

His work got my wheels a'turnin.
Lately it seems like lots of people have been asking me what I want to "do" after graduation (you know, what do I want to be when I grow up?) and honestly I'm not always sure what to say. In my head I have this whimsical idea of where I see myself (in a perfect world, of course). The problem is, these whimsical (i.e., vague) ideas don't exactly translate into an actual job. In my head, I'm off in some colorful studio with giant windows and hardwood floors, surrounded by a group of wonderfully creative people and lots of empty coffee cups. Our desks are overflowing with photographs, sketches, color swatches, fabrics, and scribbled notes. At our staff meetings we discuss brainstorm about color choices, materials, fonts, inspiration, marketing, etc.

Also, there are orchids all over the studio. Purple ones. 

It's very likely that this magical, colorful dream job that I've concocted only exists in movies. 

But still.

I know that I would like to do some type of creative work. Maybe something with lettering & typography. Professional chalkboard artist! Card-making extraordinaire! Yeah! Definitely something that involves design. Crafty stuff. Handmade stuff. Hands-on work. Anthropologie-esque work (but seriously).

If nothing else, I know that I want to do something that involves making and creating. I love both of my current jobs, but making latté art can only bring you so much happiness. (Don't get me wrong, I still do a little victory dance any time I manage to do something sort of fancy. A lattè heart!?? I AM THE QUEEN OF COFFEE!)

There is some real joy to be found in making something for someone else - something that they love, something that will last. That's what has always attracted me to photography. Knowing that your work is meaningful and valuable to someone (even one person!) makes any amount of hard work worthwhile. I want to do something that isn't the same every day, something that challenges me, and something that gives me some room to be creative. I would never survive in a cubicle. 

I want to spend my days with people who love what they do. We'd spend all of our time and energy creating beautiful things and (hopefully) selling them to people who enjoy our work as much as we enjoy making it.

........Remind me what that job is called, again?

9 comments:

  1. Haha, I can so relate to that post! I'm currently at university as well, learning for some proper job (pr - something I really want to do, but still..). In my dreams I have a job where I can create all day, maybe have my own home-made business, maybe have my own cafe/store where I sell yummy cakes and said hand-crafted things - as well as items from other creatives - maybe write a bit. Oh my, dreams! Hopefully one or two come true. Did you ever think about opening up an etsy shop?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous work! Wow, I am always so impressed with good typography -- it's an art form I am still trying to perfect. It is, in no way, easy!

    As for your dream job -- wow, I feel as though you took the words RIGHT out of my head. I swear, I have been telling my husband those very same things for a year now. I have been literally craving to work with other creative people. To sit in the same studio space, sharing ideas + projects over cups of coffee.

    I would be lying to say that I didn't immediately jump to your About Me page to see if you lived near by. :P If only! 'Cause I'd jump at the chance to work with other creative-types.

    Here's to our dreams! :D Some day. That life DOES exist.

    I also think it's funny that apparently we both are baristas as well? We seem to have a bit in common, looking forward to reading more from you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this has been on the top of my mind for oh so long now. so many thoughts about jobs! and why it is that people spend forty hours a week doing something that means literally nothing to them, and gives them very little time to pursue what it is they actually like.
    and what can be done about it, for me anyway.

    I wish you the best of luck.

    and if there is any way I can help you start something or get pumped about making it happen, let me know! I want to.

    wish you lives closer! funny that the girl commenting above me is saying the same thing. I'm a barista too!

    hope to hear more on this soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. everything here is so beautiful it's just inspiring to see!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely hear you on all counts! That typography is gorgeous and as for the dream? *sigh*. Preachin' to the converted!
    Just stumbled across your blog and stoked that I did. Added to favourites and will be back for sure. :) I love how crisp your blog is and I adore your photography! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. amen to it all. dream job, too. but just believe that it is possible - and it will be. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love seeing typography - so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete

House of H All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger